Thursday, October 23, 2008

Captain Abu Raed (2008)

So...this years 'BIFF' (Bergen International Film Festival) is over, and as usual I left a substantial portion of my salary at the event. Somehow I seem to enjoy this festival more and more as the years go by. Perhaps I am more open minded about foreign films or maybe I have a higher appreciation for film in general than what I have had in the past. I suspect it is a combination of the two.

Either way I am not going to give the usual rundown of the films I watched, although I would recommend most of them...it was especially interesting watching the documentaries about homosexuality among muslims...But I would like to single out one specific film. The highlight of the festival for me this year was a beautiful film from Jordan; 'Captain Abu Raed'. A film by director Amin Matalqa who has only done short films prior to this one. Considering that this is his first feature film, I have a feeling we will be seeing more of this guy in the future.

The film is about an airport janitor who is mistaken for a pilot by the neighborhood kids. Greatful for the company, Abu takes the kids on travels around the world through his fictional stories. Although Abu is a great escape from reality for the kids, it is reality that is the center of this film. -The everyday life in Jordan, the struggle to make ends meet and the need for someone to inspire the individual to follow its dreams.

As this film is Jordans candidate for the 'Best Foreign Film' category at the Oscars, there is an actual possibility you may be able to watch it at your local theater in the nearest future.

If you get the chance, I hope you take it. This is a film you really do not want to miss.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

she's not kidding, it is a great movie! w